Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, July 03, 2003

Here's something to applaud



According to this story, The Drugs for Neglected Diseases Initiative (DNDi) links the charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) with public health organisations in developing nations to address the lack of safe and obtainable medicines for a variety of ailments--some deadly--that primarily affect the poor. This is wonderful news. I've always felt more needed to be done on this front from a humanitarian front. However, it is also true that we can no longer afford to dismiss any disease simply because it only affects those who are far away or too poor to pay for medicine. As SARS and other outbreaks show, diseases can travel quickly and mutate into global concerns.

I have a lot of respect for MSF. I first became aware of their work during the war in Bosnia. If I had become a doctor or other health care worker like I once thought I would, I'd probably have joined it or a similar organisation. I wonder if they ever need medical librarians?

No comments: