Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

This morning I gave up and rode the bus

The ice was such I had trouble getting into my car (one of my co-workers actually broke her door handle trying to do that--she wound up taking a taxi). I tried to get a couple of doors open, gauged the amount of ice and how long it would take to chip into the car, and decided to just walk to the bus stop and go in that way. The buses were on the snow plan. We got about 1/2" of ice pellets with almost four inches of snow on top of them, so sidewalks and roads were quite slushy. One of my co-workers took an hour and a half to get to work because a main road coming in from Nicholasville to Lexington hadn't been ploughed. That kind of thing. I made it to the bus, just in time, crossing the intersection where in October 2012 I was hit by a car, the first time I've done that since that time. I had to cross the road back after the bus dropped me off, and that was harder, because there's no light at the lane near the hospital I work at.

Work was quiet; we got a lot of cancellations due to the weather. School was out, so there were a lot of sledders playing out on our hills (we have 29 acres of land, much of it with slopes). Even the University of Kentucky was out, which is very rare. They were just having their Plan B employees come in. The public library was closed too. The roads were just terrible, especially early.

Of course, they were much better on the way back, but I'd taken the bus, so I had to wait for it to take me back. As soon as I got home, before going inside or taking off my backpack, I scraped the snow (the ice had melted for the most part) off the car and put the windshield wipers up. We're supposed to get rain tomorrow, but it may be freezing rain. Then I went inside. I'd left work at 5 pm and got in the door at 6:30 pm. I watched the late evening news and just decided to lie down for an hour or so and listen to music, but of course I fell asleep and woke up at 11:30 instead. So I'll probably check on the weather and head back to bed now that I've gotten some water, etc. My hand and arm are hurting, so a little ibuprofen probably wouldn't be amiss. Have a a good night.

No comments: