Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Just requested a book through interlibrary loan

called The Irish Zorro: The Extraordinary Adventures of William Lamport. It was prominently featured in a documentary I saw the other day on the Smithsonian channel whilst waiting for YKWIA to wake up the other day. It has mixed reviews on Amazon, so I don't want to spend $30 on the book itself when I can borrow it through the public library ILL system. We'll see. But I am intrigued. I always loved the legend of Zorro. The Lone Ranger, bah, anyone can shoot a gun, or at least so my pre-teen mind went. Swords took real skill. I loved watching the old Zorro movies (and no, I haven't read the novellas, but I would like to), or reading exploits of The Scarlet Pimpernel or The Three Musketeers (the latter of which, despite their named, did more with swordplay). I even did a little fencing in high school, and wasn't too bad, but the face guard wouldn't fit over my glasses so in effect I fenced blind, which I think unnerved my foes quite a bit. :)

No comments: