Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Ah, ha! I will not be deterred!

So, until recently, we had a fascinating houseplant in our recreational therapy area (with lots of glass doors and sky lights) that really caught my eye. It had blooms that reminded me of something out of Dr Seuss. Over the last months it had bloomed on and off several times, these strange green globules that burst into pale yellow spheres. I liked it so much, I looked for some similar plants, and found a couple of tiny ones at Kroger, but it didn't say what the plant was called. I've taken pictures and tried searching the Internet using TinEye and Google Images to no avail, but I tried one more time, and it worked! Putting the image onto Google Images along with houseplant brought up the plant Croton (Codiaeum variegatum). Sadly, the plant at work has apparently died back. I hope mine bloom someday.

Here are the pictures I took of the plant we had:

Budding
Blooming


Here's one from the Wikipedia article (by JM Garg, used under the Creative Commons licence):



Nifty, huh? I can often be tenacious. :)

No comments: