Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, February 07, 2014

Sorry to hear this

Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek’s ‘Spock,’ reveals he has lung disease: The beloved 82-year-old actor has chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, Nimoy said recently on Twitter. He has the disease despite quitting smoking some 30 years ago.

He is using his Twitter account to urge those smokers who can to quit, which I find admirable. I've always liked Leonard Nimoy, and I'm sorry he has such a serious disease. My grandfather had COPD. It robbed him of his vitality and left him hooked to oxygen for most of his day at home. My mom has it, now, too. I have asthma, like them, and I suspect that I have a genetic predisposition for it, but I've never smoked, so I hope that I can avoid it as I age. It's not a fun way to go, feeling like you can't breathe. Maybe this will get to some of those young people who haven't damaged their lungs too badly yet. But to Mr Nimoy, I say in return, 'Live Long and Prosper' as well.

No comments: