Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, June 20, 2013

So glad!

Exodus International: 'Gay Cure' Group Leader Shutting Down Ministry After Change of Heart
A Christian ministry that claimed people could change their sexuality through faith, prayer and therapy is shutting down its operations, and the group's president issued an apology for causing the gay community "pain and hurt" through its past work.
When I was at school, a friend of mine knew a guy at the university who was a graduate student and who was hounded by these people. They showed up at his workplace and threatened to contact his family in India. The young man wound up committing suicide. I know that ultimately it was his choice, and it was the result of a few individuals' zeal, but still, I can't imagine how he must have felt, and I've never forgotten what this group did. This news gives me some hope that the world is, indeed changing, and in some ways, for the better.

No comments: