Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Reading

Life Below Stairs: True Lives of Edwardian Servants by Alison Maloney. What can I say, it's a library book I have on my Kindle that piqued my interest because of my watching 'Downton Abbey'. :) It didn't get great reviews on Amazon, mainly because it has supposedly drawn largely on secondary sources rather than original research, but it is interesting so far and lays out the hierarchy of house servants and their domains very well. It has gotten me interested in a book that is older but does contain a lot of original work, Frank Dawes' Not in Front of the Servants: A True Portrait of English Upstairs/Downstairs Life, which is available on Abebooks.com at several sellers for a reasonable price. Keep in mind, although my focus of study in history was European history prior to 1789, it was also especially in social history, so I find this an interesting subject.

No comments: