Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, April 13, 2013

I found the secret

to waking up relatively pain free these days: I set my alarm for an hour before I intended to get up and then took my anti-inflammatory medication. Then by the time I got up to shower and do all the things that have been difficult the last few days, I'm doing better. I think I'm on the mend, although I start PT Tuesday. And I am determined to hit the YMCA with some sort of workout, even if it's in the water, next week, if my therapist approves. I've had some amount of chronic back pain most of my adult life, but nothing ever like this. For those of you who deal with this daily, my heart goes out to you.

PS At least I'm prepared to do some of my PT exercises at home. On Wednesday, the day I missed work, (the first time I've done that for any sort of back issue), I got a package there from Amazon for a balance ball. I wanted to continue to work on some exercises I'd been given for my ankle. It's 65 cm and it rated to 2,000 lbs when inflated correctly, so I think I'm good for using it. :) [I also got some yoga supplies, but that's on hold]. So I've blown up the ball and am looking forward to using it, but I'm going to wait till I talk to the therapist and get some exercises from him. By the way I love my therapist. I'm going to KORT Physical Therapy Chevy Chase, with Stephen Karam. He did such a good job with my ankle I asked to return there. I highly recommend them.

PPS Sorry it's all been about pain these days. I am afraid that has been the number one thing on my mind lately. But the pain is easing up, the muscle relaxants I'm using at night are helping, and the inflammation does seem to be responding to my naproxen. So I'll try to blog about other things. This weekend I have to do pick up a book from the library, take a friend to the vet, do the game notes I couldn't last week, finish a project, work on the house to the best of my ability, and most importantly, do my taxes. Yeah, I know, I've put them off terribly, and they're due Monday. Agggghhhh!

No comments: