Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Totally unsolicited and uncompensated product plug

One of the reasons I don't tend to fool with makeup is that often claims of lasting all day are often just that, claims. Yesterday I broke down and decided I no longer had any basic makeup that would be good for a job interview, a nice night out, or just to pull myself together professionally. So I went to the pharmacy and bought the following products from Almay®:

 

 
I put it all together this morning, along with my existing mascara, Cover Girl Natural Lash Darkener. I didn't do eyeliner or lipliner, but as a result of the makeup I had a very nice, natural and fresh look. It all lasted throughout the day. One of the women I work with noticed mainly due to the lip colour, which was about a shade darker than my own--everything blended with my natural complexion, but evened it out. The eyeshadow really brought out the hazel in my eyes and made them seem even more expressive without looking huge or made-up. The lip wand is double ended, with a sponge applicator in the colour and a brush in the clear gloss. It can be worn with or without the gloss. I applied the latter a couple of times today, but the colour stayed without having to be re-applied. The eye shadow did seem to fade a bit (as all shadow does, in my experience), but enough stayed to accentuate my eyes throughout the day. I was really happy with it. I may start doing this every day. It was really simple to get a nice, polished yet natural look. I chose Almay because it tends to be hypo-allergenic. It would be nice if the eye shadow had a two-ended, two-sided applicator, instead of the double one, since it has three colours--but that was minor. ($31.47 isn't bad for that much makeup, either).

I didn't try the other eye shadow for hazel eyes (it has pink as its main colour), because although it would have brought out the hazel, it would have made my eyes look redder. I already have trouble with ruddiness. If I cry or get very angry, my whole face reddens and my eyes get very red, and I look like I have positively green eyes, as opposed to a greenish hazel/light brown mix.

It's a little weird, both the foundation and blush look a little grey when they come out of the tube, but then they blend in wonderfully. I'd need a better understanding of chemistry to know how.

Anyway, that was today's adventure in makeup. :)

No comments: