Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Drat

One of the things I was going to do today was go to the library before work and give back the DVD of Pan's Labyrinth (which, like three episodes of 'Heroes', I have yet to find time to watch) and pick up a book on hold called Rutka's Notebook: A Voice from the Holocaust.

Here's a description of the book that appears on Amazon.com:
Rutka Laskier, a 14-year-old Jewish girl in the town of Bedzin in Poland, died in Auschwitz in 1943. But she left behind a notebook in which she recorded her thoughts, fears and dreams. Some are the musings of any adolescent girl; others are the despairing cries of an individual caught in history's vortex. Now, after 60 years in the keeping of a friend, that notebook has been recovered - and it opens a unique, moving window into the everyday life of Polish Jews caught in the throes of Adolf Hitler's Final Solution. Hailed as the "Polish Anne Frank," Rutka Laskier now speaks to us across the decades: a witness to evil, a voice for the silent, and a timeless symbol of resolve. The editors of TIME add annotations, photos, maps, and quotations that help bring this tragic era into compelling focus for today's readers.
A note about this book has been pinned to my bulletin board since it came out in April of last year. I think I heard about it on NPR. I'd meant to get it but hadn't, and then I noticed the library had it and requested a hold.

One of my favourite things about our library system is that you can place a hold on a book--even if it is not currently checked out--and it will be delivered to your home branch when available. Since I no longer have a car, this makes it immensely easier for me to get books. I really appreciate this service, Lexington Public Library!

I guess I'll have to stop by tomorrow though and make the exchange. Still wish I'd been able to watch the DVD (it's a 7-day one, but I just haven't had the time--I may see about renewing it.) [Actually, I looked down and it was 11:58--I still had time until it would be considered overdue and wouldn't have to be renewed at the library, and I'd get away without a fine, so I went to another browser window, went to the website, signed into my account (which has an automatic sign-in on my Chrome browser), clicked a box, and hit renew, and voilà! I have it for 7 more days. It took less time than explaining it. Yay! This is another reason I like LPL.]

Here's what else I have out from the library right now. As you can see, I'm kind of musing on the Holocaust right now...

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
Damsel Under Stress by Shanna Swendson
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

No comments: