Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Gee, they're a little harsh about royalties in Britain, aren't they?

Apology for singing shop worker
"I would start to sing to myself when I was stacking the shelves just to keep me happy because it was very quiet without the radio.

"When I heard that the PRS said I would be prosecuted for not having a performance licence, I thought it was a joke and started laughing.

"I was then told I could be fined thousands of pounds. But I couldn't stop myself singing.

"They would need to put a plaster over my mouth to get me to stop, I can't help it."
The Performing Right Society has since offered her an apology and send her a bouquet of flowers--and complimented her singing voice. :)

Imagine this happening in the US. Free speech vs. intellectual property rights--I would have once said it would never be an issue, but in these days, who knows?

1 comment:

Rental Property Chicago said...

I'd like to think that it was just an honest mistake??? ... :-)