Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Musings

After work tonight I went to the grocery, which is a misnomer, because our Kroger has moved into not only food but also furniture, toys, office supplies, and all sorts of department store of things.  There was, among a display of potential holiday gifts a phonograph record/tape player that plugged into a computer to convert those media into digital recordings.

It got me thinking of the two most beloved 45 rpm records I had as a child.  One was The Story of Little Black Sambo. I loved it when the Indian child (not African-American, as so many seem to misunderstand) outwitted the tiger and tricked him into turning into a pool of butter.  The other was 'Puff the Magic Dragon' by Peter, Paul, and Mary.  The latter has been on my mind since Mary Travers (the Mary with Peter and Paul, and who incidentally was born in Kentucky) died recently.  The records disappeared in one of our many moves, unfortunately, but today we have YouTube.  So, let me include the following (with a great intro that debunks the urban myth that it had anything to do with smoking marijuana):

No comments: