Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, August 21, 2006

Thanks to my mom

Listening to Jak Paris, "The Chain" (a cover of the Fleetwood Mac hit)

I will, indeed, not be evicted. She came up with the rest of what I needed; I'm not sure how, but she came through. Kudos to her.

They also went ahead and took my computer home to see if they could find a way to resurrect it post-lightning storm. In the meantime I'm using an old laptop as a backup, but it's working pretty well. I didn't realise it had an ethernet card, for example, because the connexion is a little different. Anyway, I got it connected to the Internet which is great because I also got my router/adapter today from Vonage. For no activation fee or first month's fee, I was able to get a regular phone number with unlimited local and long distance minutes. Since I cancelled the cable, that freed up about $45, and Vonage is only $24.99 a month. So, hopefully I'll be able to chat with my friends and family now, and not worry about missing a job opportunity because my pre-paid cell minutes have gotten low.

Speaking of jobs, the Council on Postsecondary Education called me today to set up an interview for a reference librarian position with the Kentucky Virtual Library. It's been months since I replied, and even months since they sent me a letter saying they would set up interviews eventually. I gather there was a hiring freeze in the state government. Anyway, I have my interview on Wednesday; wish me luck!

No comments: