Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

About time someone tried defining this


Planets Added to Solar System, Why Now?


Maybe next they can tackle those star naming schemes (I'm linking to one of many) where they name a star and put it in the US Copyright Office, which incidentally has no control over the official names of stars, so it's basically spending money for a fancy scroll and some sense of having a star named after a beloved pet or family member, when in fact nothing is offical unless it goes through the International Astronomical Union.

For more info on how these, in my opinion, astronomical bilkers work, check out Space.com. I've only seen one of these scrolls before, in the home of someone that I frankly thought would know better, but I guess the novelty appeal is stronger than common sense sometimes.

No comments: