Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, April 17, 2004

Tick, tock

listening to: 'Once More, With Feeling', The Cast from 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'
feeling: Tired

I've been cleaning all day. Spring cleaning, I suppose. Putting in my energy getting ready for a project that requires a clean house and it has the added benefit of erasing some of the signs of Buns' illness, I suppose. I've got a lot accomplished, but I'm reaching a point tonight where I just don't feel up to doing more and I think I'll need to start anew tomorrow morning. But I did one last thing before calling it a night.

Last Christmas, my mother gave me our family clock. She had had the one from my great-grandparent's farm fixed by someone in the area and so she'd passed on the clock we'd had when I was growing up to me. It's a wall clock from Japan, with dark wood and a prancing horse at the top, the type you wind up and it bongs the hour and half hour. I didn't put it up immediately because I didn't have a stud finder and I didn't want to take a chance with it falling, but I picked up a little magnetic stud finder for a couple of bucks yesterday and decided to get it out.

It's hard to find any wall surface in my house not covered with paintings--I'm lucky enough to have a talented friend who can't store all his works--but I did manage to re-arrange a little. Now it's ticking away. I'll probably have to reseat it a couple of times before I get it working just right, but for now, it sounds like home. My dad brought that clock back from Tokyo on his way back from Vietnam. It's not really old, but it's the one thing in our house that symbolised home for me. It seems a little odd having it my apartment. :)

Well, that's all for tonight. I think I'm going to spend a little time with the animals and plan the next wave of attack. 'Night.

No comments: