Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, April 16, 2004

Today I really need a Friday Five:

1. What do you do for a living? I am a medical/consumer health librarian, coordinator of an early literacy project, and distance learning assistant. I am also clergy, which although I'm unpaid, it's a vocation.

2. What do you like most about your job? The variety; you never know what you'll have come through the door or what question you need to search out.

3. What do you like least about your job? The pay. I've gone through a partial lay-off in the past year just at the time I thought I could almost make my bills, and now I'm one step above destitute, because I'm now working 20 hours at a job that was already $10K under the norm for my position.

4. When you have a bad day at work it's usually because _____...They've found a new way to reduce the scope or responsibility of my position. I think they'll eventually make it pretty much secretarial. The problem of being a librarian in health care is that often you're the only librarian, and the only person who really knows what you do. You can try to educate them, but you are always going to take a back seat to clinical needs and monetary pressures.

5. What other career(s) are you interested in? Writer, teacher, counseling, landscape architect, and advocate for people with disabilities who have to hurdle mountains of paperwork to get the health care, drugs, and benefits they need in order to live.

No comments: