Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, April 11, 2004

Whenever I think I'm losing faith with some of the people in this world...

a story like this comes along. Dying Child Leaves Legacy for Playmates

Mak Shulist died Friday after battling a brain tumour. But when asked what his dying wish was, he asked Make-a-Wish to do something for the friends he was leaving behind--build a rock-climbing wall at his elementary school.

I think our world leaders need to pay more attention to nine year olds.

The picture of Mak reminds me of my cousin Steve at that age. The resemblance is enough that I had to look twice.

The first child I ever knew who died was Linda Probst, a classmate in my elementary school and at my church who died of leukemia. She was nine, too. It was such a shock to me that anyone our age could suffer such a terrible illness.

Dwana lost a brother to a brain tumour a few years ago. I don't think a day goes by when she doesn't think about him. She's shared a little about how difficult it was for her family and some fo the things they do in his memory. The courage these kids display in the face of everything they undergo is amazing. I don't see how anyone could come away from that experience changed. Despite everything, I think sometimes those changes make such a big impact in many lives, that while we may not fully understand the whys, we find some part of us is stronger, some part more understanding or sympathetic, some part that wants to carry on their legacies.

I hope he and his family find peace at the end of his suffering, and that his family receives the support they need to recover from such a grueling ordeal. I get the impression from Dwana that it never gets 'better', per se, but it does slowly become less raw in terms of the hurt and loss.

Mak's illness--and more importantly--his generosity, will probably touch those around him in a way that stays with them throughout their lives. Although I really know Linda before she died, now, nearly thirty years later, I remember her name. I remember her pale face the Sunday before she died as she struggled to stay awake for our lesson. I remember the pain in our teachers' voices when they announced that she died. It was before they brought counselors in. I remember being shocked at the idea of bleeding to death in the hospital. I'm actually not sure if that's what happened; it may have been an infection. I just remember that in our limited understanding, that's what we thought happened. We knew leukemia was a blood disease, but not much more. I'm not sure if we even realised it was cancer at that time. I remember the regret of not having ever gotten a chance to really know her. And I remember the sister and family she left behind.

No comments: