Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, April 09, 2004

On Modern Madness

I was reading about John's struggle with some of the medications, and how absurd it can be to be at the mercy of drugs and not really seeing yourself as you anymore. It's sort of absurd the way we're told, 'oh, it'll get better, try this'. Modern mental health care has a certain Alice in Wonderland quality about it. And so, I couldn't resist. Those who have dealt with similar issues will probably relate...and no, I'm not making fun of anyone with mental illness. I have mental illness, and sometimes, frankly, you have to laugh in the face of it. So this is for you, John, and for the rest of you who deal with anxiety, depression, or other forms of mental illness. I know it's not award-winning poetry, but it made me feel better. If you like it, feel free to quote, just give me credit. Thanks. Oh, and I double-checked and was happy to find that my understanding of archaic grammar was right. (What can I say, it's easier to rhyme thee than you.)
On Modern Madness (© 2004, Eilir Rowan)

When I was mad and things were skewed
I hated to see what others viewed
As normal, real--a pleasant thing--
Because I could not hope to bring
Them into my elusive brain
With thoughts of fear, of doubt and pain.

It was, you see, my chemistry
That confused and haunted me,
That made me hoard and check and clean
That made me crazy, sick, and mean.
A little pill was given me,
Along with massive therapy,
And now I am as sane as thee--
Or so says their reality.

No comments: