Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, April 08, 2004

I just have to say...

the current Unshelved (7 Apr 2004) is great. When I was a kid I dreamt of being locked in a library overnight. It had everything I really needed--books and bathrooms. Food was really quite optional, but I figured I could smuggle that in under my coat. But it would be just my luck that some plucky programmer would include a sub-routine that would not allow the computers to be accessed outside of library hours even if no one was supposed to be trying. Ah, well, like I said, books and bathrooms...who needs the computer, really? Except for certain databases, you can plug a computer up and cruise around online and it doesn't matter where you are. But a collection of books built over years and maintained by professionals...ah, that's a goldmine.

Yeah. There's a reason I became a librarian. It's a sort of madness, I know, but of the most exquisite kind. Bibliophilia is one of the best eccentricities a person can cultivate.

It's funny how kids think, too. I mean, I would never have considered it breaking or entering or trespassing back when I was plotting nocturnal library roaming. It's a public library after all. It's sort of how we got around that 'no swimming' sign at the lake when I was a kid by wading. We weren't disobeying the rules. It never occurred to us that the reason for the sign was the alligator and snakes that lived in the water. :) The gems undeveloped brains come up with. No offence to those of you in your teens and below, but trust me, no matter how smart or mature you are, you're still not at full potential (something you have to look forward to, that will make you truly frightening). :)

No comments: