Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 30, 2004

Okay, so I'm blogging at work

feeling: Sleepy

...but it's okay. I'm babysitting a call centre/help line and fortuantely things are a little slow.

So, here are some thoughts I've meant to put down this week:

One, yesterday in our lull between wintry weather, I saw a beautiful male bird singing in a tree that looked rather like a European robin, but I think was actually some form of finch, but not the normal house finch you see around here...it had a red breast and a white belly. I would say it was singing cheerfully, but I know better. The hours of daylight are growing and he was singing for a mate, essentially he wanted sex. It was a little bit of hope of the coming spring. Of course, it's best not to become too attached, because...

It's going down into the single digits tonight (that's Fahrenheit, in case you're wondering) with a lower wind chill. January and February are particularly unpredictable around here. I've seen 80 degrees in February and then of course if you've been reading that long you may remember the ice storm last year that had people without power for days on end.

But it's almost Imbolc, the Celtic spring festival, when calving begins and (in a tradition our little group has had for years) cheese flames. (Pour vodka or cognac and perhaps some herbs on mozzarella, turn out the lights, and light. Ooh and ah and then eat happily on crusty bread or crackers.) Soon the spring bulbs will be coming through the soil. I already have some snowdrops on my desktop to remember when it's so cold outside.

I'm thankful for the warmth of central heating, and more thankful that although I have gas heat I don't pay gas, just personal electric.

Hope you're warm wherever you are (or cool if you're in the grip of summer).

No comments: