Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Brrrrr...

feeling: Cold

It's 12 freaking degrees outside (Fahrenheit) and it's supposed to get down to 7 tonight. Now, you say, it's winter, after all--no complaining. But Sunday it was 67 glorious degrees. Brrr! Welcome to Kentucky and its capricious weather. You'd never know we were part of the American South.

On the upside, the moon is full and casting a beautiful silver light over the landscape. The light is so strong it's shining through the balcony above my patio. It's a breathtakingly clear night, the kind you only get in winter, and only when it's very, very cold. Of course, skywatching's a little difficult when you're frozen solid. :)

Hmmm...not much to report today, other than the fact that I did get my UI cheque, so I was able to (gasp!) fill the car up with gas, get a few groceries, and go out to eat for the first time in a long while. There's still enough to get my Paxil and have some a little left for laundry. Yipee! Ah, the exciting life I live.

The big stink in Kentucky politics today was that our newly-elected governor (first Republican in decades), who ran on a platform of change in Frankfort, promptly waived the hiring freeze everyone else is dealing so his sister-in-law could get a $25,000 a year job. Don't blame me--I voted for Chandler. There are times I think they should institute a lotto to pick our leaders, under the assumption that people who don't set out to be career politicians may do a better job. Then I remember jury duty and how difficult it was to get people to understand basic logic, and that idea goes out the window. I hate politics, but at the same time, I think it's important to participate. Yeah, me and all those other masochists.

Well, I've fed everyone and now I'm going to go curl up with various furried bed warmers. I am so glad that I have gas heat AND my rent covers everything except personal electric. I've heard horror stories on some of the rates this year from various people, and the electricity's about to jump up 8%. But it's so much better than the last apartment, where I had gas boxes of flame, or the one before, where I couldn't keep the apartment above 60 degrees but heated the underside of the house nicely, thank you.

Hope you're warm wherever you are.

No comments: