Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I debated on the way home

Whether to open the windows or turn the air conditioning on. Since it's currently 83 degrees with a heat index of 86, humid, and it's evening, I opted for the air conditioning. I usually try to go for as long as possible without it to save on electricity, but I really don't do well in heat. Besides, tonight I need to clean house in preparation for the carpet cleaner tomorrow, and I don't see why he/she or I should work in the heat.

It was very sunny and humid. I wore sandals and a short-sleeved top, but regular pants, as the only capris I have clean are jeans style, so I can wear them on Friday, our jeans day at work. I went to work and it was already in the 70s at 9 am. Then I had to come out around noon for a 1 pm office visit at my doctor's. The bus was trying to cool down but failing. I got to the appointment early and they took me early because they weren't busy, and I actually sat down with the doctor at the very time of my appointment. He'd expected my blood sugars to rise after the oral meds were discontinued. He increased both types of insulin, including just a bit at breakfast. That should hopefully bring them back down. He did mention an insulin pump in the last stages of trials that might be an option. I don't know how I feel about that. We'll see.

On the way back, the bus had broken down, so they sent a van to get the ones they could. I stopped at Walgreens to get some test strips, lancets, and pen tips, and decided like an idiot to walk to work in the sweltering heat. It isn't that far, but I'm out of shape and it was hot, especially near the pavement. I got back in time for my second job to start, and worked till time to leave, so that was good.

Now I'm home, and trying to find some excuse to not clean just yet. But I'll have to at some point either tonight or tomorrow morning, as they'll be here any time before noon.

No comments: