Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, May 06, 2011

Being resourceful means using all your resources...

So I get interlibrary loans for my patrons so they can do their research on a regular basis, especially at grant- and research paper-writing times. Generally I meet with success, maybe having a couple of articles retired in a year. One of them this time was mine. I'm doing a book review for a journal in my field and they suggested a chapter from a book, but when I put the request through DOCLINE, no one could reconcile the citation with the physical book, even though I can find the beginning of the said chapter in Google Books (but can't read the rest of the book).

Well, it'll probably come in too late for this one, but since I have become the book review queen (I have three already published, one submitted, and another in the works), I thought it was worthwhile to find the book. For free. Turns out I have credit at PaperBackSwap.com because I just sent someone my copy of Fatal Vision. It also turns out that the elusive book is in their system, so I requested it, and in a few days it'll hopefully be winging its way to me.

By the way, the book is Lester Snow King's Why Not Say it Clearly, a guide to concise and clear scientific writing, from 1978 (that's the citation I was given and the edition from which a library sent me the table of contents without mention of the book review, as well as the edition I found in Google Books). There's also one from 1991.

Never tell a librarian she can't get a book. :)

Today I was updating my résumé, since one book review was just published, two sections of a book will be out this month (although I have mixed feelings about that one; I had horrible writer's block and didn't do my best, but I haven't seen the final product), and a new award jury appointment to put on it. I'm not that accomplished, and it's not like I've done original research or anything like that, but considering I'm a part-time librarian, I've become fairly impressive on paper, anyway. :) I have fourteen items published (if you consider selecting and rating the annual Doody's picks for orthopaedics) and hopefully two more soon. Not bad for someone who still hasn't ever been able to go to a major professional conference and works in a tiny non-academic library. One of these days I need to fork over the money for membership in the Academy of Health Information Professionals. I've had the points for years; it's the money that's an issue. [At $195, it's less than accreditation for many professions, and that's once per five years, BUT I work part-time as a librarian and would not reap any increase in salary, etc., from applying.]

No comments: