Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, June 26, 2004

It's amazing how far refusing to take 'no' will get you

listening to: WEKU
feeling: Triumphant

I ventured out of the house briefly to hunt down a very short list of items at Kroger's, one of which was a roll of quarters for laundry. After being told they couldn't give me any, I said that was unfortunate, since I had come there especially for that purpose and had spent money there. (Okay, I spent $10 on groceries, but it's the principle). I asked him if he knew anywhere in the area where I could get quarters. At that point, the guy went back and got quarters, explaining the whole time why he couldn't give them to me. I gave him my $10, smiled, and went on my way. I still have a little trouble not sounding bitchy when I'm being firm, and I honestly couldn't remember if I'd thanked him (I hope I did), but I did get what I came for. I do most of my grocery shopping at that store; granted, it's not a huge amount, but the least they can do is give me change once a month. I sometimes do laundry over at Dwana's when our schedules work out, but I also do loads here at the apartment laundry.

Last time I went to get quarters at that store, I was told they didn't have any money at all, something I really can't believe as 1) they were open and doing business, 2) they had lots of people giving them money for merchandise right there, and 3) I had just done so, too. Then I tried at a laundromat (not unless you're doing them there, of course), and finally went to Wal-Mart without any trouble. (They're also cheaper for cheque cashing and money orders, by the way).

Note to self: remember to get quarters at the credit union during the week, and avoid the great quarter safari. And work on being direct without sounding bitchy. Goodness knows I have a great role model for that. ;)

No comments: