Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, June 12, 2004

Frolicking on a Saturday

Yesterday was all about the 70s. I dressed up as a hippie (not difficult, given my wardrobe) and was part of a staged costume contest complete with music and disco ball. J was hilarious with an Afro wig, fake sideburns, moustache, and chest hair, and spare tyre in the leisure suit thanks to the creative use of bubble wrap. I really thought she should have won with her Lounge Lizard (which looked like a cross between Cheech Marin and a fat Elvis), but hey, I wasn't a judge. The air handlers at work were down, and it got very hot. I now understand why New York got so violent during the 'Summer of Sam'...polyester. I got off work early because I'd gotten my hours in. Yay!

Today I've run friends to various places and really started unpacking in earnest. I got the bookshelves in the living room rearranged, the largest paintings up (the huge phallic one that takes everybody aback included), my wizard/unicorn prints up in the bathroom, and the whole place vacuumed. I discovered a line of ants running in a line across the carpet to the computer desk, too. Harrumph!

I went through a deluge earlier; my car was sending up 15-foot sprays at some intersections, but I turned around going down Main Street down by Rupp Arena because the water was pretty deep. My car handles well in heavy rain, but I didn't want to chance it--it looked at least 2-3 feet deep.

Later I watched a very good episode of Space: 1999 called 'Force of Life'. It was well done, but a bit sad. Then I frolicked. Frolicking involves grabbing your partner's hand and sashaying back and forth, then dancing around in the circle. The reason? Happy classical music in the background. What other reason do you need?

I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow; I doubt we've seen the last of the killer cannibal clowns. In the meantime, I'm playing Scrabble and Moon Tycoon on the computer occasionally and otherwise just trying to set the house up. D is being driven crazy by the Partylite lady in preparation for Tuesday's party, but I think otherwise we're ready for that, especially if her air conditioning holds out. I'm thinking it's a shame we have to drive back to D's house after the belated birthday happy hour at O'Neill's on Tuesday...neither of us normally drink, but it might help to have a couple of drinks prior to the candle party. :) Anyway, it should be a good week, and then the week after next my aunts and uncles come in for a visit, and I'm looking forward to that.

So that's what I'm up to. I know I've been just posting links, mostly, because I've been pretty busy. But I'm sure there will be new stuff to write about with this coming week's plans. :)

No comments: