Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Got home while the sun was still streaming through the windows

It's beautiful outside--80 degrees but with low humidity and a slight breeze. I can feel my tension in my shoulders relaxing a bit now that I'm home. I've turned off the air conditioner, opened the windows, and just have a fan going.

Today I said goodbye to my boss of many years. I will miss her a great deal. She's always been there for me through the good and the bad, and she was super great during my time off from my injury last year. She's moving to academia, and I'm sure she'll do fine.

The first thing I heard today was my alarm clock giving me the news of the day (it always greets me and then gives me three headlines in a male British voice). The first was the Ariel Castro suicide. I can't say that I'm sorry to see him dead and gone. Maybe it's my Christian upbringing, but I usually feel that it's bad to think that of other people; I'd like to think everyone has some good that can redeem the person, but I don't have much faith in that for him. He imprisoned and raped three women over a decade, heinously kidnapping them and stealing away their youth and bright futures, and fathered a child in that terrible situation. While he declared he was not a monster, I beg to differ. I have to admit, my first reaction was 'good riddance'. I only hope that with his death, these women (and the little girl) can find closure of some sort, some normalcy, and go on to have full and happier lives.

No comments: