Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Let there be light

After nearly three weeks of darkness in the main aquarium, I stopped by Incredipet today and looked at what they had available. The problem with my hood wasn't the light bulb; it was the electronic starter, which is the second time that's gone out in about three or four years. So I looked at options for replacing that style of light. Turns out they had modular LED lights that fit over a glass top, which I already had. I got an Aqueon brand one that has space for up to three LED bulbs (it comes with one). There are two types of bulbs available: a day light bulb and one that has interspersed red LEDs that help accentuate the colour of the fish. I chose to wait and see how bright one light on its own is. One is plenty light enough, although I may add one of the others with the red lights, too. There are also a couple of small 'moon lights' that are blue that can be used at night so it's not in total darkness. LED lights last a long time, but I decided against the single-light, non-modular style because the whole unit would have to be replaced, and they're about $80 a pop. The lights themselves for the modular one are a little over $20, more than a regular light bulb, but a lot cheaper than a whole new hood assembly. So I went ahead and got the one in 30 inches, which fits my 29" long aquarium nicely.

Now that the light issue has been resolved, I need to:
  1. Vacuum the gravel thoroughly
  2. Do a water change
  3. Clear out some of the Java moss.
  4. Check the tank water (I particularly tend to have issues with nitrates)
  5. Buy a few large snails (consequently, I also tend to have a lot of algae)
  6. If water is okay, get some more fish (I'm down to two goldfish)
So that will keep me busy tomorrow. I also need to do the game notes, farmer's market, grocery run, spend some time with a friend, and have another over to watch Silver Linings Playbook. So I have a lot to do tomorrow. :) With that in mind, and the fact that it's half past midnight, I am going to go on to bed. Good night.

No comments: