Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Today

I had a very busy workday. Then I went to the pharmacy and barely made it there on time (they close at 6 pm). I got my meds, including my rapid-acting insulin, which is good, as I was on my last pen. They forgot to give me one of the meds, though, so I'll have to go back soon. But I also picked up some medication for a friend and there was some of his that they didn't have in stock, so I was planning on going back anyway. I think I have enough of the missing medication to last a couple of days.

After that, I went looking for three items for another friend: fennel bulbs, bananas, and tweezers that were metal and wide-pointed. The last two were fairly easy to get from Kroger. The fennel turned out to be a problem. They didn't have them at the Chinoe Kroger on Sunday, but I thought they might be at Alexandria Drive's Kroger near the pharmacy. Nope. Then I tried Good Foods Co-Op, which was remodelling its entire produce cold case and so again, no fennel bulbs. Finally I decided to try Trader Joe's. I hadn't been there yet, and I found that it was nigh on impossible to correct my route when I accidentally turned too soon off Nicholasville Road. It took a good fifteen minutes and two trips back onto Nicholasville to get into the right parking lot. Fortunately, they did have the fennel. I also got some coconut cranberry granola cereal and milk for myself. In all, it took two hours to do all those errands between work and arriving at my friends' house.

I made some food for YKWIA after I stopped to drop things off, and then stayed till almost 11 pm watching videos of one sort or another and visiting. Now I'm home, I'm tired, and I'm glad it's almost time to go to bed.

I got a package from Amazon today with three CDs (Big Country, The Crossing, Big Country, Steeltown, and Mike + the Mechanics, Hits [the first two I've been listening to due to AutoRip, even though I didn't physically have the disc yet. The second I listened to in the car earlier. RIght now, I'm listening to The Crossing). Having discovered reading glasses were totally useless in helping me do data entry (unless I perched them way down on my nose, which was uncomfortable, so I could see the computer, too), I had also ordered a document holder that was metal mesh with magnets to hold the paper and a nice-sized lip so quite a few papers would fit. This brought the tiny numbers I need to look up things with up to a better level. I also got a paperweight magnifier for use when things are really tiny, and it'll help with the computer screen as well. So that solved my problem. I also sent back the remake of THe Nightmare on Elm Street today to Netflix and should get another disc by Thursday. It's a surprise for a friend. After that, there's The Silver Linings Playbook, which he's very keen to watch, and I'd like to as well.

I did try to cancel my cable television today. The first call I was on hold but got interrupted by an issue with a copier. Then the local number went kablooey and I had to call the toll-free number after several attempts locally, only to have a friend call while I was on hold. You'd think someone were trying to tell me something. I'll try again tomorrow.

Okay, I'm getting downright sleepy. I suppose I should say good night and be on my way to dreamland. Tomorrow will be a somewhat sad day, as it is the last day my boss of fourteen years or so will be there. She's moving on to better things, but I'll miss her. She's been great. Anyway, have a good night.

No comments: