Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, February 04, 2013

Up briefly

Tonight was my night to leave a libation to Hekate, and I didn't want to put it off any longer (I have a three-day window during my menses; this was the second night). I feel better than I did when I got home, although obviously I plan on sleeping more if possible. I checked the news, just glancing through it, and saw the results of the Superbowl, but didn't really care on that front. I don't understand the hype, but then, I'm not a football fan.

Today's Cthulhu game was about righting all the things that went wrong last game, including removing curses and healing horrible injuries. I feel much better about where we are now. Last time one character (mine) was blinded [well, her eyes were red and filled with blood, and she cried tears of blood, which was even worse than simple blindness], another was shot in the head, and a child was kidnapped and something magical was done to her that had to be undone. There were no tentacled monsters, but there were evil people who burst into flame and incinerated when hit with the power of the Elder Sign. Brenda and I lost focus during the last game and things could have gone much worse in terms of the clean-up this game. And for once, the dice seemed kind to us. Last week I think the only roll Brenda made of any note was the one in which one of her characters, under the influence of an evil ichor, shot another.

I know for someone not familiar with roleplaying games, or our brand of horror/science fiction, this probably sounds weird. But it is generally fun--much more fun than sitting around a TV watching a bunch of men in tight pants run after a pointy ball. :)

Today was also heavily about roleplaying. I rolled my dice exactly once throughout the game. Almost everything was actually the result of acting, if you will, than the roll of the dice. That's a lot different from games like Dungeons and Dragons that are more about action and killing things than building characters and relationships.

Okay, back to bed I go. Hope your week goes well.

No comments: