Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Despite the fact that it is forty years old now, and a classic

I have never actually read What Color Is Your Parachute?. I got a ways into it and so far it's gotten me thinking about where I'm going and how to get there. He updates it annually now, and so it's remained quite current, as the job market has changed so much in that time. And it was nice that it's available on the Kindle, too.

I'm thinking about getting a print copy for the library, along with some basic job hunting books. Many of my co-workers are in the same situation I am, either not having a job within a certain timeframe or at least their continued employment is up in the air. Some of them have not really done a job hunt for years, since before computers became so crucial. Even places like McDonald's require online applications these days. Regardless of whether they find a job before the hospital's plans go into effect or whether they stick it out until then, they're going to need the job hunting, résumé and cover letter writing, and interviewing skills, and I'd like to do something to help with that.

No comments: