Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, August 27, 2010

I am somewhat miserable

This morning I discovered the floor in front of my walk-in closet was wet. My air conditioner is leaking badly. Now everything that was in the closet--fortunately, no books, just clothes and floor cleaners--has been distributed between my bathroom and bedroom. Most of it is actually dry or slightly damp and may be saved. One box is sodden and needs to go out to the dumpster, although I think I need hazard gear to do so (see below). They've got a horribly noisy blower on the carpet to try to dry it out, and it's obviously been wet for awhile, because my skin and nose are protesting terribly (I am extremely allergic to mould) and I finally had to break down and put the CPAP, which has filtered air, on. But that isn't helping the itching I'm having. The universe is definitely telling me to clean my apartment.

This morning I was taking out recyclables and knocked over the grocery cart. I didn't realise it at first but that, in turn, knocked over and broke an unopened bottle of laundry detergent, right in front of the door to the apartment hallway. So there's that, too.

I also have to have a tetanus shot tomorrow because on Wednesday I ran into one of those old-fashioned bulletin boards surrounded by glass and metal, scraping my arm. It's been 12 years since my last tetanus shot (that was when I stabbed my hand with the old-fashioned letter opener trying to open a staple cartridge for the copier. They took my letter opener away from me and gave me one of those new-fangled plastic ones with the enclosed safety blade). Of course, it couldn't be as simple as just taking a shot. We have a vaccine that's kept at work called TDaP (for Tetanus, Diptheria, and Pertussis). But as a child I reacted against the Pertussis version of the DPT shot (Pertussis being whooping cough.) My arm swelled and became red. So I can't take the TDaP. Fortunately they've ordered some non-pertussis vaccine for me. I love working in a hospital for these sorts of things. But I need to learn to watch where I'm going, too.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get up early and take care of that sodden bit and work on the rest of the house and do some laundry. Wish me luck.

No comments: