The Beloit College Mindset List collects various aspects of popular culture and other items that incoming college freshmen simply have never experienced or won't remember. The purpose is to be more mindful when connecting with this young people when teaching. The unintended effect is to make the rest of us feel old. Here's some doozies from the latest list:
There are 75 items on the list. Check them out and see how old you feel.
- Few in the class know how to write in cursive.
- Buffy has always been meeting her obligations to hunt down Lothos and the other blood-suckers at Hemery High.
- A quarter of the class has at least one immigrant parent, and the immigration debate is not a big priority…unless it involves “real” aliens from another planet.
- Fergie is a pop singer, not a princess.
- Computers have never lacked a CD-ROM disk drive.
- They’ve never recognized that pointing to their wrists was a request for the time of day.
- Pizza jockeys from Domino’s have never killed themselves to get your pizza there in under 30 minutes.
- Nirvana is on the classic oldies station. [Which isn't all that surprising, as Kurt Cobain was born the same year I was--1967.]