Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, August 06, 2010

Well, I did it again

Listening to 'Fire on the Mountain' by Rob Thomas
Reading Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher

I was so tired last night I laid down at 8 pm and I was gone until 8 this morning. I did wake up hourly from about two to seven. I had finally decided to get up when a friend called. I was up early yesterday for the cable guy, have catalogued many books (48 since Monday), did all the other library stuff, and had a lot of fairly complex data entry to do (but I still left at 6 pm when I finished). I guess anything that takes a lot of concentration tires you out, but, gee, I'd like to stay up some night and get stuff done, or get up early enough to do them. The next house-related thing is to do dishes. I'll try to do that tonight. And while that's running, I need to work on game notes.

Today is jeans day at work, yay! I'm in my 'The League of Extraordinary Librarians' shirt and some khaki jeans. It's been hot as fire outside (although not as bad as some places), so I hope I don't burn up in them.

On the agenda today is more cataloguing (I have some books left from awhile back, and a new order on its way). I also have a project to work on, and then later, of course, there's data entry, but it's a light clinic today so that shouldn't take the whole shift, either. One of my co-workers suggested I should go to school for medical coders--they're always in demand and our tuition reimbursement would pay for it, since it's a position we hire for (that's the caveat on ours; it doesn't work for history or such, but does if I took a library science class). It might be worth considering, I don't know.

I did run some numbers last evening regarding my pay (I don't remember if I wrote this last night or not). Anyway, the gross pay from 20 hours at the library + 28 hours at the store was about $40 more than the 20 hours at the library +15 hours at the data entry + the 8 hours I'm doing at the store right now. Now, more money is taken out for taxes (they always take out too much at the hospital, and not enough at the store) and retirement (I changed my withholding to 6% because they're matching up to that now, and of course that's 6% of more money). So I'm technically making less net if I don't get that extra 5 hours a week. Plus, it's still not getting off early enough to do much with friends or for that matter really working an extra shift at the store. Plus I won't be getting that shift differential. That means I'm unlikely to save for a car or pay off my debts as easily. I don't know. I'll give it a couple of pay periods to figure out if I can make it on 35 hours a week at the hospital or not. But that, coupled by the fact that I have about $3 to my name at the moment, means I'm a little worried financially. I'm used to getting about $180 a week from the store, and now I'm getting about $60, which I'm mainly using for food. And last time I got paid at the hospital went to rent and medicine. Ironically, that was most likely my first full paycheque, but about $250 was taken out to repay where I'd been overpaid in July. I'm tempted to use some of my PTO (personal time off) to make up the difference and get a whole cheque this time, but I have a limited amount of PTO, and Labour Day is coming up. Right now I have three days' worth of PTO, which is what I need if I get sick, since it doesn't kick over to my EIB (extended illness bank, which I have several months of, even now that I'm working at least theoretically 8 hours a day) until the fourth day. I may double-check to see if I need to use any to get that 15 hours (I think I left at 5:30 a couple of times, rather than 6, but I stayed till 7 at least a couple of times) and leave it at that. Then I'll see about how much I'll make normally.

Anyway, that's what I'm worried about these days.

PS I think the data entry is making my carpal tunnel a little worse. I dropped and shattered a plate the other day. Unfortunately my schedule doesn't really allow for hand therapy. Somewhere around here I have some hand braces I got before my surgeries. I need to find them. They're probably in a box in the closet. (Keep in mind that was five years ago). On the other hand, my feet are doing much better now that I'm not standing on them for days on end. :)

No comments: