Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, March 11, 2004

Strange...

listening to: Spirit Wind by Richard Warner (Alto flute music)
feeling: Reflective

Last night I dreamt of teenage angst, suicide, murder, domestic violence, families torn asunder, and the drive to save a teenager on the edge. It was very Lifetime drama. [I don't necessarily mean that in a good way. As far as I'm concerned, Lifetime ('the channel for women'...and gay men) presents movies that in essence are 'light horror' for women. They play on women's fears and anxieties. Dwana and I both think that part of depression screening should include 'Are you watching a lot of the Lifetime channel?' If you want empowering or fun shows for women, watch Oxygen. Personally, I'm more of a Spike girl myself.]

My dreams were actually a little more uplifting. People were beating the odds. A brother was bringing his sister's murderer to justice. A man who had lost his own wife to drowning was trying to save a woman's son from suicide by drowning. They weren't anxiety dreams at all. I didn't wake up feeling stressed, like I do some nights when I dream. It was just a very odd choice of subject matter for my brain, and I'm not sure where it came from. The only things I watched on TV yesterday were 'Charmed' and 'Witch Hunter Robin'. Okay, well in 'Charmed' they couldn't save an innocent who was fated to die, and in 'Witch Hunter Robin' the entire STN-J team were taken down by shadow operations. I suppose that might have carried over into my dreams. :) But the dreams weren't so much disturbing as just a little strange for me. I'm one of those people who tends to dream right out of Sci-fi. This seemed so...grounded in the present, with a lot about family dynamics and individual emotions more. Strangers came together to feel for the victims of crimes or to save a child. It had a lot of depth and backstory, and even though the vignettes didn't really tie together in terms of their stories, they did in terms of overcoming loss. Hmmmm.....

No comments: