Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

The Changing Face of 'Vegetarianism'

A colleague who fits the description of a 'flexitarian' sent me an article on the changing face of 'vegetarianism'--from a small number of strict adherents devoted to animal welfare to a broader group emphasising health. The latter growth has probably more to do wit the better prices and proliferation of organic and vegetarian foods, which is a great thing from my angle.

Granted, I'm a lacto-ovo-pesce-vegetarian (I do eat fish, so count me as a mediaeval or semi-Catholic style vegetarian, since fish weren't seen as meat due to their apparent lack of sexual union--obviously the Church Fathers had never seen livebearing fish copulate). I did recently think about going back to eating free-range poultry, but it still seemed wrong. My thing was always about being in touch with my food and the effects my life had on the environment. So flexitarianism probably isn't for me; I don't feel like I could kill a cow, for example, so I don't feel I should eat one. I could probably kill a chicken, but I don't really see the need. I'm not generally preachy, because I think it's an individual choice. Still, more power to those who are adding at least a pseudo-vegetarian diet to their lifestyle; it'll help in terms of resources, health, and make it easier for the rest of us to find a gardenburger on the menu.

No comments: