Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, March 15, 2004

Monday Madness for the Ides of March

1. What is your solution for cabin fever - you know that feeling of being penned in the house all winter? I look at seed catalogues and dream of what I'll plant. As soon as possible, I throw myself into gardening, even if it's in starting flats or digging in newly-thawed dirt to lay the foundation of beautiful landscapes. Then there's simplifying clutter, or persuing art, exercising at the gym, or reading; I've learned to enjoy being home, but it's lovely to be able to get out.

2. Who are the people in your neighbourhood...in your neighbourhood, in your neighbourhood.....? I live in an apartment complex with about 200 apartments, with 4 to a building. My neighbours are from all over the world--I often hear Bosnian or Spanish voices and music. The surrounding area is very upscale--an established neighbourhood with a lot of college professors and professionals. I live at the border of Chevy Chase and Idle Hour. Within a block or two there is: a high school, a tree-intensive park, a water company, a reservoir, an exclusive gated community on an 'island', which is really a penninsula, a historical mansion, a fire house, a hospital (my workplace), a golf course/country club, a sweet but neglected creek that needs people who can help clean it up, and a sad mall that is largely vacant.

3. What's the best thing about spring? That everything is renewing--flowers bursting from the soil, animals with new young, warm sun on your face. It's my favourite time of the year. (One of the reasons my name is Eilir, which is Welsh for spring).

4. Any Easter traditions? Being non-Christian, not really, although I tend to listen/watch Jesus Christ, Superstar around that time out of habit. I sometimes celebrate Passover with Jewish friends. Since I'm Pagan, Ostara (the Vernal Equinox) is a great time to boil eggs and colour them with onion skins and other natural dyes. [The egg traditions and Easter rabbit are survivors of the fertility aspects of the old Pagan religions.]

5. How old were you believing in the Easter bunny? Hmmm...I'm not sure. Even at 5 (when my birthday fell on Easter), I knew the eggs were made and hidden by my mother. (That year they hid them in the house, because I'd sprained my ankle badly and had to be carried everywhere. But that day it was better, so I got to do two hunts--one inside and one outside). But I think I still believed in the Easter bunny in some way.

No comments: