Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

It really should not come as any surprise...

that it's pretty easy to find information about just about anyone on the web. And, certainly, there are reverse-lookups and map-makers, etc. I can even get a satellite view of my roof.

But Dwana sent me an e-mail that illustrates just why people should choose to go unlisted in the phone book, even if you don't have a pressing reason to do so.

Go to Google. Type your phone number into the search field in the following format: xxx-xxx-xxxx (assuming you have a US phone number). It will probably give you a listing and allow you to instantly convert that phone number into a map to your house or place of business.

It's not really anything new; it's just a damn sight easier. Apparently you can request that your number be removed.

For years I paid for an unlisted number. Then, I found out that I could (for free) simply request that the phone company list my number but not my address. It just seemed to make good sense. After all, those directories get sent to marketing companies. And of course, now they're widely available on the Internet.

When I got the e-mail I typed in my phone number, my friends', my mom's, my work's, basically any I could think of. Mine was the only one that didn't show up.

Privacy is really an illusion, but it's a fairly simple thing to ask that your address not be shown.

Just something to think about.

No comments: