Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, December 14, 2003

Walking in a winter wonderland...

listening to: 'The Remedy' by Jason Mraz
feeling: Content and happy

Today was snowy yet filled with holiday warmth as I helped a Christian friend prepare for the holidays with gift wrapping and decorating, which is great because it got most of my holiday desires for doing that out of the way and still was helpful. Also, my friend was very upbeat due to the snow and the season, and so it was contagious.

So, I have to admit, I've had a day full of holiday cheer. I'm a little tired now, but I had a great dinner of potato-leek soup for my efforts and lots of peanut brittle (I adore peanut brittle, which I forget until I'm offered some). About the only thing we didn't do was eggnog, and I have some of that. :) But it was nice to listen to jazzy Christmas music and watch the lights glow as darkness fell.

So, it's a little early. Christmas started early for me when the car arrived, after all. And of course there's also Chanukah and Yule to celebrate as well. I'm an equal-opportunity celebrant. After all, the point of the holidays, no matter what you celebrate (and really it's not that 'Jesus is the reason for the season' since the traditions associated predate him by quite a bit)--although I agree that it shouldn't be all materialism and if you're going to celebrate his birthday, that's certainly more important than Santa and sales) is to bring light to an otherwise dark time of the year and celebrate the return of the sun from its furthest point. No matter what religion, what hemisphere, etc., that's pretty much the point of winter solstice and the traditions that grew up around it.

Imagine. Something people actually agreed on, even if they didn't mean to. :) Now if we could just get the peace thing down.

No comments: