Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, December 14, 2003

Believe it or not, I totally missed the news

that Saddam Hussein had been captured until this morning when I went over to a friend's house, and then, when he said everyone was talking about Saddam, I somehow thought he meant Sodom--what can I say, I've spent more time studying ancient and biblical history than watching news of the Iraqi war, and talk radio pundits often go on about Sodom and Gomorrah. :)

So, we watched the President's speech (pretty decent, I must say...especially since they've been looking for someone for 8 months in the same area as where he was found). But, it's certainly a feather in Bush's cap, and if they bring forth bin Laden, I'll even give a thumb's up for the administration.

As usual, I turn to my favourite news source for Bagdad--Salam Pax, but he hasn't had a chance to update yet...still, I did catch up on some of his writing. His description of waiting for the kerosene man, despite its similarity to us waiting for an ice cream truck, was chilling. I really hope the country and its oeconomy can be stabilised soon, for the sake of the Iraqi people and our own troops...and I hope the Iraqis get to deal with Saddam in terms of meting out justice, rather than the US stealing their fire, so to speak.

No comments: