Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, June 15, 2015

I know something will get me in the end

but I'm glad I have never smoked, and I wish someone in my family would quit. She already has COPD, and I worry about her, as I watched her father go through the same thing.

Smoking Blamed for Half of Deaths From Major Cancers in People Over 35
About half of U.S. deaths caused by certain cancers -- including lung, colon and pancreatic tumors -- can be attributed to smoking, a new American Cancer Society study estimates.

In 2011, nearly half of the almost 346,000 deaths from 12 cancers in people 35 and older were linked to smoking, the study found.

"Despite large declines in smoking in the United States over the last 50 years, smoking still accounts for the majority of lung cancer deaths," said study co-author Rebecca Siegel, the American Cancer Society's director of surveillance information.

The researchers looked at 12 cancers known to be caused by smoking. In 2011, they found that 346,000 people died from these types of cancer. The researchers also had data on current and former smoking, and found that almost 168,000 of these deaths were due to tobacco.
Smoking is preventable. These deaths are preventable. It's no guarantee--people get cancer who have never smoked, even lung cancer, but it would decrease the deaths substantially. Isn't that worth putting down the cancer stick?

No comments: