Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, September 06, 2012

So the news broke today

about the hospital moving, written as if it were a totally done deal, and I have to admit I was a little sad, because of course I won't be a part of it, as neither I nor the library will be a part of that new venture.

I have worked for the hospital for fifteen years. Others who are not going in the move have worked there much of their adult lives. Some will retire when the time comes. Others will hit the job market in our 40s to 60s hoping to find another job we love as much as we do there. It's going to be a difficult time. I dare say that I will not be able to pass the new building (or the old one, if it is maintained by a new owner) without a certain amount of bittersweet feelings. But I, like the others, will still have to move on. Maybe it's a golden opportunity in disguise, forcing me past my sense of comfort and into a better position. We'll see.

No comments: