Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, July 16, 2011

I love my birthday present

Okay, yes, my birthday was in April, but my present didn't come out until July:


It's a parody of Clifford the Big Red Dog based on the HP Lovecraft tale, 'The Dunwich Horror', which is one of my favourites, as a librarian, Dr Armitage of Miskatonic Library, figures prominently. One of my Cthulhu characters is even related to the Whateleys (which is not a particularly good thing). Librarians figure well in "Cliffourd the Big Red God (the title name being a nod to Lovecraft, who like me, favoured old spellings and the ever-present British 'u'). There is one page where Wilbur is listing Cliffourd's bad points and he points out that librarians don't like him.


And there's the end, of course, but if you haven't read 'The Dunwich Horror' I won't spoil it for you.

Anyway, thank you to YKWIA! Thanks to him this is the latest in my Mini Mythos collection. There's also Where the Deep Ones Are, based on 'The Shadow over Innsmouth' and a parody of Where the Wild Things Are and The Antarctic Express, based on 'At the Mountains of Madness' and a parody of The Polar Express. If you are familiar with Lovecraft, I highly recommend them. If you aren't, quite frankly you won't get it.

No comments: