Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sobering experience someone apparently had with Amazon

Who Ate My Amazon Account?
The only problem, is that losing your amazon account after 8 years of purchases is not that simple, not only I have I permanently lost all my order history, shipping address for tons of friends and family and my 5 page wish list neither of which I have a record of anywhere else, but I soon discovered that it also meant losing hundreds of dollars of Kindle books I have purchased from them. Amazon's solution to that is just to offer me a gift card for the amount I spent on Kindle books so I can repurchase them all individually on the new account I'm supposed to open with them.

But as I have the nasty habit of heavily highlighting, bookmarking and annotating all the books I read, it means that they just trashed the countless hours I spent reading and taking notes in my books!
This was in response to Amazon having supposedly closed an account due to unauthorised access. Can't verify the actual authenticity, to be honest, it's just someone's account of what they say happened to them. The company has the right to shut down the account, and they offered a gift card in the amount necessary to re-purchase his Kindle books, but he was upset because of losing his annotations. Seems to me there ought to be a better process for transferring account information, but on the other hand they did try to rectify the situation to give him back what he lost. I think the wish list and shipping addresses lost is really incidental.

No comments: