Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The secret seems to be to come in and immediately start working

on the house. I spent a brief time finishing something on the computer for a friend, then started on the kitchen. I've got a load in the dishwasher now, a sink full of non-dishwasher safe dishes to do, but the counters, kitchen island, and stove are all clean. That leaves the sink of dishes to do, cabinets to clean out, and the refrigerator clean out. Not bad for about forty minutes' work.

More importantly, I've been doing a good job of keeping the areas I have finished clean, immediately recycling junk mail, putting the other mail in the bill organiser, that sort of thing. I still need to do a once over of the living room for random things on bookshelves that aren't books, clean the aquarium, clean the bathroom, and work on the bedroom, so I'm by no means finished, but it's a much more inviting environment. It's a struggle when you tend to hoard (and I'm speaking pathologically, not like how some people just tend to have a bit of clutter).

I got my rent today and will drop it off at the office (which was already closed when I got home) in a bit. The retaining wall work is finally finished and the parking lot is clear, meaning I can use my own steps and not walk through wet grass in the morning (and tiny doggie bombs) to get to the others.

I got a ride home from one of our doctors today. It was a very productive day overall. I'm trying to see if I can wrangle access to the Kentucky Virtual Library, because it has CINAHL (Cumulative Index of Nursing and Allied Health Literature) with full text articles, and I think that would be used. I put in an enquiry and the director is going to give me a quote. We're such a small hospital (only 50 beds), I'm hoping it will be something that will fit into my budget. I also did some interlibrary loans and helped patrons find what they need. With the data entry, I got yesterday and today's sheets in, and I just need to verify them tomorrow, which should be fine, as it's a lighter clinic, so I should get caught up. It's nice to be staying the whole time now. I actually got some shift differential on my paycheque this time. :)

I came across this on Facebook, thanks to another librarian. It's really funny:
1 - Open Google Maps and choose 'Get Directions'.
2 - Type China as your starting point.
3 - Type Taiwan as your destination and hit the 'Get Directions' button.
4 - Read Step #48.

Hee hee. Someone at Google has a sense of humour. :)

Also on Facebook, apparently WLEX TV (Channel 18) [which I follow] interviewed the last remaining witness to the 1976 Stanford Kentucky UFO Abductions. I didn't catch the interview, but went online to find out more. My mom lives in Stanford; it's one county over from where I was born, so I was interested.

No comments: