Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, July 16, 2011

This morning

I had a very intensive physical therapy session, with lots of exercises, longer and heavier traction, and the hand bike. I came out of it feeling great, and have for the most part just had a bit of numbness in my hand all day. Now, however, my neck and shoulder is starting to hurt a bit, so I broke down and took some ibuprofen for the first time today. Not bad, given it's the end of the day.

Today the cicadas were in full swing when I walked into work this morning. I also saw a June bug for the first time this year. One good thing about not having a car (there are a few) is that you tend to notice things close up that you'd never even see if you were driving, things like meadow flowers, bugs, fish, and birds. Of course, you also see unpleasant things like trash and roadkill.

I forgot to mention something that happened yesterday. Some time ago some friends decided they should be able to choose their own ringtone on my phone (it had been Nickelback's 'If Today Was Your Last Day'). I promised they he could--big mistake. Anyway, one chose a bloodcurdling scream--even sent me the sound file. If I keep it low, he talks to me in a whisper. If I keep it up, it rings at inopportune times, startling the people around me. Even so, I often do not hear it if it's in a bag or on the bus, because it gets muffled or lost in the ambient noise.

Anyway, I was at the bank yesterday getting my rent money and had handed the teller my wallet, which happens to have a pocket for my phone on the side, so she could check my ID. She was passing it back to me when it proceeded to scream, causing her to drop it into my hand and for everyone in the bank to stop and look in confusion and alarm. I quickly said, 'It's okay, it's my phone,' and explained, as I didn't want anyone pressing any alarm buttons. They were all good-natured about it, and she declared she was utterly awake now. I called my friends back and explained what had happened. They thought it was hilarious. I was not as amused, but since it ended well, I guess I can't complain.

I really need to get a picture of Munch's 'The Scream' and put it on there so it pops up whenever the phone rings, don't you think?

No comments: