Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, September 12, 2005

Somehow this just does not make me feel safer

WMD Threat Could Spark American Nuclear Strike

A document, still in draft form at this point, within the Pentagon has been revised to allow the President to order a pre-emptive nuclear strike against another state or terror groups. This shifts things from 'mututal assured destruction', to 'we will kill you dead just for thinking it'.

Of course, I shouldn't really be surprised. We are, after all, the only nuclear power ever to use a bomb on another population. But given such things as the lack of WMDs in Iraq, faulty intelligence, political appointments that screw up even something as vital as disaster relief...well, I don't have a lot of faith in my government at the moment, and even less so with this particular Administration. It's getting harder to view ourselves as the good guys (which, really, was a matter of spin anyway, I suppose, since everyone sees themselves as the good guys, even when they're doing horrible things) with stuff like this happening.

Let's see if it is approved in its current form. I suspect it will drum up quite a bit of controversy after being outed, so to speak, by the Washington Post yesterday. Still, I wonder what this will do to the Doomsday Clock?

No comments: