Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, September 02, 2005

Convoy to Gulf

Got Labour Day weekend off and want to do something physically to help the victims of Katrina? Consider joining this person. Offer of aid was taken from the KatrinaHelp Wiki. I would be willing to help drive down, I just can't figure out what to do with my dog during the time I'd need to be gone. But maybe someone else, like a student, who doesn't have anything to take care of here could help???
Ok here it is, I am in Ohio looking for assistance in driving as much food and potable water down to the children waiting for transportation and evacuation. It has become apparent that the situation is not being handled as needed and the time has come for us as ordinary citizens to stand up and do something NOW. I am hoping for one or two volunteers from Ohio, PA , or WV to Grab what non-perishables and water we can (distilled water can be had for 50C a gallon) and literally drive as far into the evacuation staging area as possible and distribute what we can to families of children in need. I, although not well off by any stretch of anyone’s imagination am willing to spend $1000 in supplies and assist in transporting them DIRECTLY to the area of need. I need assistance in the transportation. Simply put.

I am under no illusion this is pretty much compared to pissing in the ocean when it comes to the overwhelming need there, it is however all I can do, and I am willing to DO it not just talk about it. I can also promise NO person we give aid to will say 'No thanks this isn’t enough' The simple fact is we , who are able need to stand up and act as it is becoming frighteningly more apparent by the hour that'officals' are overwhelmed or incapable of acting as quickly as needed by a disaster of this magnitude and the children and the elderly, the one not able to fend for themselves are suffering the most.

Please contact me vivia email at wertman@hotmail.com

Planning to Leave Saturday Morning and Return on Monday, you might miss a football game, or a cook out but you may also make life a little better for a child.

I am sure you can think of a 100 reasons NOT to

Others are dealing with it
I cant really help enough to make a difference
I have other plans
Its dangerous

The problem is everyone is already giving the same excuses and nothing is getting done. This would be an in and out operation, drop off what we can and that all. Not into the flooded areas but rather the children waiting for evacuation that haven’t eaten or drank clean water in days. This is not political, this is not religious, this is being a decent citizen and standing up to action, something that Americans it would now seem thinks means watching TV and feeling pity but nothing more.

If you are able, in good health and able to help provide transportation PLEASE contact me. I don’t want your money I want your back, your spirit and some driving for 2 1/2 days simply help in transporting and distributing what supplies we can, To be honest it will probably take less than an hour to actually distribute, but think if you were in those children’s places what that would mean, a snack, some water, and maybe just maybe some hope.

All we can do is what we can do, this is all I can do, but when its over I will be able to say I actually DID something, not talked about it at the office, not watched it on TV, not thought about giving to the red-cross, but I did something. Please contact me via email at wertman@hotmail.com My HOPE is to Leave Saturday around Noon and Return by Monday at 3:00pm

A Truck with a hitch and a Trailer, and SUV with a Trailer, heck a 1969 Winnebago…

No comments: