Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Excitedness

Yesterday I got a phone call from the Kentucky Historical Society about interviewing for a job Tuesday next. I'm excited, because it marries my love of history with library science.

I've also been asked to write a chapter (about 2000 words) of a book on library careers. It sounds like it'll be fun, but the rough draft is due Nov. 1st, so I'd better start cracking.

Work has been a little exciting too. Yesterday I had one of those classic person-searching-for-a-book but the name was a soundalike for the real author, which I figured out. It was also one of those situations unique to hospital librarianship where someone calls you from the operating room to get a reference. Then, today I got to do an interlibrary loan lending to Rome. It's things like this that make me feel truly useful down to my toes. Yes, there must be something wrong with me. But, hey, it's one reason I'm a librarian. I like to find things for people. And even better, I'm good at it. Yay!

What else has been going on? Well, it's not exciting per se, but I discovered my air conditioner has been leaking on my off-season clothes in the walk in closet and as a result the carpet is drenched, the clothes and wall are mildewy, and I have a mini-disaster scenario to play with. The good thing is I think I can salvage most of the clothes, and thank goodness I noticed signs of a past leak and didn't put any books in that closet as was originally suggested.

It sounds like I need to swing by Shell and get some more gas before the prices go up again with this newest hurricane. I'll do that before I head over to the station for work. Then tonight I have the excitement of laundry to look forward to (yes, I'm being sarcastic). It's one of my least favourite chores, at least unless I have a washer that I can have running whilst doing other things.

Well, that's all for now. Take care, wherever you are. Hope you're having a good week. I know I am.

2 comments:

Judith Atwood said...

Hi --a new viewer with a question. Isn't the word excitement, not excitedness? I've also heard Courtesyness, and Afraidness. I would love your comment, as a blogger and a librarian. Or tell me to get lost -- I feel a lot of whateverness about it.

Eilir said...

Yes, the word is excitement. But sometimes words do not convey our emotions to the degree we would like. At those times, I purposely use idiosyncratic 'words' in my writing. Since this is an informal personal blog, I'm fine with that. Obviously if I were writing for a business blog, such as for a library, I would not do that. Thanks for the comment.