Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I'm thankful

that I have a roof over my head, clean, fresh water to drink and bathe in, that I know where my family members are and that they are safe, and that, at times like this, we are reminded of what really matters in life.

I hope that those whose lives have been overturned in the last week or more find shelter, necessities, and loved ones. I cannot imagine what you have gone through, not really. But I look at my own position and know that if I had been in the area, I would have been one of those left behind, waiting for a September 1st paycheque, without gas or money to go anywhere, not knowing what to do about my animals. Looking at pictures of the hurricane's aftermath, I'm struck by the slices of ordinary lives. Even those with the wherewithal to leave will be displaced for some time; they may not have been right in the path of the storm or suffered as great, but still they are refugees. But of course the poor, as always, are the hardest hit. A storm doesn't care, of course. It simply is. But where you were on August 29th made a difference in how you experienced the storm, that's for sure.

I think the government was slow to respond, and that mistakes were made at a local, state, and federal level. I don't think it was overt racism that caused things to go so slowly, but certainly race and socioeconomic status played a role in who was left cut off during that time of flailing. They're certainly issues to address once everyone who can be rescued has been, issues social scientists and historians will mull and theorise about for years to come. It is good that it is being discussed, too, in general society, because it isn't something that should be relegated merely to academics. But in the meantime, the recovery continues....

I don't know why, but one of the most powerful stories that caught my eye this weekend wasn't about the human suffering. It was set at an animal shelter where the people had to evacuate once it became apparent that the storm was heading directly for them. They did what they could, putting cages high up, etc., but the animals were left to fend for themselves. Over twenty animals did drown in their cages, but a good number survived--cats and dogs--by swimming in their cages for about six hours. The person being interviewed said something to the effect of how we humans needed to learn how to deal with the crisis with the same will as those animals. I don't know why, but that story gave me hope...and of course, we have seen story after story of miracles and courage in the face of calamity along with the tragedies. I have to admit, in the midst of all the chaos, I hope that each and every one of those animals is adopted after displaying such a will to live.

No comments: