Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, August 09, 2004

One of my favourite memories

(yes, I was a geek) was stretching out on the top of a car roof out in the Mojave desert when I was in junior high, watching the Perseid meteors. We were on Edwards AFB, with no major light sources around, no real pollution, and lovely August weather. Perfect meteor viewing.

This year, for the first time in awhile, I live at the edge of town, and I have a car if I need to go out a bit from the city lights. I was disappointed by an inability to see the Halley and Hale-Bopp comets because I was stuck in the city without transportation, and I can remember living downtown when a particularly spectacular meteor show was predicted, and frustrated because of the lights, when a huge one went off above like a firework, clearly visible even where I was, which seemed like nature's reassurance that those who would appreciate it should get to see it, car or no car. :)

Perseid meteors promise free firework show

No comments: